Spider-Man: Homecoming - Review

Spider-Man Homecoming
I have fond memories of the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies. They (especially the first two) were some of the first really good superhero movies. I was less impressed with the Andrew Garfield reboot. Not so much because of him but the stories and villains just didn't do it for me.

I was excited when I heard Spider-Man was joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe. While I was nervous about another reboot, I was impressed with the new Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War. He was one of the best parts of the movie.

This brings us back to Spider-Man: Homecoming. I can honestly say that Tom Holland is the best Spider-Man yet. I loved this movie!

The movie was funny, funny in a natural way the way the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie was (but not the second one). I laughed so hard and I think the final moment of the movie is the funniest scene in any superhero movie ever.

But this movie is not a comedy. It is funny because, despite the superpower element, it rings true. Anyone who has been an outcast can resonate with Peter Parker's experiences.

The interaction with Tony Stark/Iron Man was well done. In fact this was a better Iron Man movie than Iron Man 3! Peter's desire to be treated like a grown up by Tony was believable.

I also liked Michael Keaton as the Vulture. Keaton helped bring in the age of superhero movies with Batman and it was fun to see him here. He was a believable character as well. Far better than the Lizard and Electro from the Amazing Spider-Man movies.

Overall, Spider-Man was a fun and satisfying superhero flick. It departs enough from the Marvel formula to feel fresh but retains the elements that have made Marvel successful. I look forward to seeing this Spider-Man again in the next Avengers movie.

Comments