Star Trek: Discovery Episode One - Review


Star TrekStar Trek has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I was actually born during the run of the original Star Trek series. It has been a long time since we have had a Star Trek television series. I have enjoyed the rebooted Star Trek of J.J. Abrams but have also been hoping for a new television series. That time hCreate Linkas come with Star Trek Discovery. I had watched the trailers for the series and the comments on YouTube had been almost unanimously negative. This dampened my excitement a bit. Despite this, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode. To put things in context, this series takes place about ten years before the original series. I understand that this is set in the Star Trek universe of The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, etc. While it would have been nice to have it connected to the recent movies, it does give them some more freedom. The first episode deals with conflict was the Klingons. The Klingons (along with the Romulans) have been one of my favourite parts of the Star Trek mythology. One of the first things that people will notice is that the Klingons look different. Not only are they not the humanoid Klingons of the original series, they look much different even than the more recent Worf. I don't think we should get too worked up about this. Each new chapter of Star Trek has transformed the Klingons and so in this case, change is a part of tradition. There is nice connection with the greater Star Trek world with the first officer having a connection with Sarek, the father of Spock. I hope that means that Spock will be making an appearance at some point. Was Discovery perfect? No. But Star Trek also has a tradition of taking some time to find its way. I've been trying to rewatch DS9 and am only about six episodes in and am struggling. I find it terribly boring and yet I'm told that it eventually becomes one of the best Star Trek series. Even the legendary Next Generation series was pretty bad in the first season. I would say that Discovery is much better than TNG or DS9 as it starts. It has echoes of all the Star Trek series, from the original series to the recent movies. I liked the characters and the stories and it was visually beautiful. My only disappointment is that only the first episode is free to watch. I would have even been fine with Netflix. But I have no intention of subscribing to a new service to watch the series. I would prefer to buy the season on DVD when it is released. I will say that I was pleased with the first episode and I'm looking forward to watching the rest.

Comments