Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Review

The Guardians of the Galaxy sequel was very high on my list of movies to see this year. The first movie is the best Marvel movie yet made as far as I'm concerned. This created some pretty high hopes.  I was disappointed. In many ways, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 reminded me of Iron Man 3. They both tried too hard to build on what came before. One of the things that was great about the first movie is that it was funny.

The sequel tried to crank up the humour but it didn't work. The first movie was just naturally funny. The sequel came across as forcing humour because of the success of the formula. Some of the jokes were funny. The Mary Poppins reference was great. But the running gags about the unripe fruit and David Hasselhoff got tired quick.  In addition, the relationship between Gamora and Nebula felt forced. The change in their relationship did not feel like a natural progression. And then there was a the bad guy. I liked Ronan in the first movie. But I found Ego very uninteresting. I don't know if it was just his portrayal by Kurt Russell. He just didn't seem believable as a celestial. It was fun to see a young Kurt Russell in the 1980s but that was it.

There were other things. Drax was one of my favourite characters in the first movie but he was turned into a one dimensional character here. The funeral at the end (I won't say for who) was drawn out and again did not seem very believable.  That is not to say that I hated the movie. It was okay, it just fell far short of the first Guardians of the Galaxy. The movie was visually appealing. Sometimes the humour worked. There were fun fight scenes. But the negatives outweighed the positives as far as I'm concerned. Is it worth watching? Sure. But it definitely won't make my top ten of Marvel films.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Comments