Why I Love Star Trek: Discovery

Star Trek Discovery
I need to make a confession. Star Trek: Discovery is currently my favourite TV show. That might surprise some people. Especially if you know that I'm a long time Star Trek fan.

It could be a surprise because Discovery is a departure from traditional Star Trek. In fact for many people, it doesn't even feel like Star Trek. It is based more on war than exploration. The Klingons are radically differently. It is not a captain-centric series. The technology is far beyond Star Trek: The Next Generation even though it supposed to be taking place before Star Trek: The Original Series.

Aside from all of that, I'm really enjoying the series. This is why.

Star Trek: Discovery reminds me a lot of the reimagining of Battlestar Galactica. In fact there is much about it that has a Battlestar Galactica feel. While I usually am very concerned by continuity, I come to Discovery the same way that I came to Battlestar Galactica, not being concerned by what came before, but enjoying the series as it is.

Discovery, like Battlestar Galactica and unlike most other Star Trek series, is a serialized series rather than episodic. Each episode builds on the others, the situation between Starfleet and the Klingon Empire is continually developing.

For me, it doesn't matter if Discovery feels like Star Trek or not. All that matters is that I'm enjoying it much more than any other Star Trek series I have watched before.

What about you? Do you like Star Trek: Discovery? Why or why not?

Comments