Wonder Woman - Review

I will confess that traditionally I have been more of a DC fan than a Marvel fan. I will also admit that Marvel has generally done better with the movies than DC. I did enjoy Man of Steel and also liked Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad. They weren't perfect movies but I thought they were a good start for the shared DC universe. Still, I was hoping that Wonder Woman would beat the critic's trend of hating DC movies.
  Wonder Woman

I was not disappointed. While, I don't always agree with the critics (like I said, I liked BvS and SS), but their praise of Wonder Woman was well founded. It was a really good movie. Not just compared to other DC movies, but even compared to Marvel movies. In terms of Wonder Woman, you could describe this movie as a blend of Thor, Captain America and Black Widow.

 I thought Wonder Woman was one of the best parts of Batman v Superman and her solo movie took that strong start and built upon it. Gal Gadot does a great Wonder Woman and her chemistry with Chris Pine as Steve Trevor worked well. The pacing, the acting, the fights scenes, the special effects were all good. I especially enjoyed the development of Wonder Woman's character. She had an innocence about her as she entered man's world, but she was not weak or stupid.

 The movie also had plenty of funny scenes. I thought Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 tried too hard to be funny but Wonder Woman let the humour flow naturally. My wife and I laughed a lot throughout the movie. Having said that, it's not a comedy. It does deal with some heavy subjects. But the humour opens the audience for the deeper reflection rather than distracting.

 When I first heard about this movie, I was surprised by the World War One setting. She has traditionally been placed either in World War Two or modern times. But it really worked. I thought her experience in the trenches and no man's land was powerful. If I had any criticism, it would be that some of the CGI was rough.

There were times when they switched from Gal Gadot to the CGI Wonder Woman and it was obvious. However, this is not enough to take away from this well done movie. In Wonder Woman, DC has a really hit. From what I have seen of the Justice League previews, they are trying to continue in this style. If you are thinking about seeing Wonder Woman, I would encourage you to do it.

Comments