Marvel's The Punisher - Review

Punisher
Having not been impressed with previous attempts at portraying the Punisher, I quite liked the reintroduction of the Punisher in the Daredevil series on Netflix. I was pleased to hear that the Punisher would be getting his own series.

Did I enjoy the series? I'm not sure that joy is the right word. It was quite dark and at times brutal. Of course anything about the Punisher has to be brutal, but it was more than just a liberal use of violence. The Punisher immersed itself in some pretty emotional topics, much of it dealing with the trauma from military service.

I'm a former army chaplain and so I'm tuned into anything to do with PTSD and other trauma. Despite being a superhero (sort of) series, there were aspects that were a bit too realistic.

I didn't like everything about the first season. It was a bit rambling at times. There were a couple of sex scenes that were more gratuitous than needed to move along the story. Despite expecting the violence, there were a few scenes that were a bit over the topic, making me to want to look away from the screen.

Having said all that, the first season of Punisher was generally well done. I like Jon Bernthal's portrayal of Frank Castle. He is the best actor yet to play the character. Also in this series is Ben Barnes, who played Prince Caspian in the Narnia movies. Without spoiling anything, he is definitely not Prince Caspian in the Punisher. This series really highlights the range of his acting.

One of my favourite characters in the season is David Lieberman / Micro, played by Ebon Moss-Bachrach. I didn't think I would like the character at first but the development of the character of the episodes was amazing. He was funny and sympathetic and at times, heroic.

The first season of Punisher was very interesting and at no time did I get bored. I wanted to know where things were going and I cared about the characters. If you have not watched it yet, I encourage you to check it out.

Comments