Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Review

I was able to see the new Star Wars movie. I have been looking forward to it but also feeling a little worried. While I didn't hate the prequels, I did feel that they did not live up to the original trilogy.

I am limited on what I can say here as there are some major spoilers. I was pleased that I was able to see the movie and still be surprised by some of what happened.

I was looking forward to this movie because of all the old faces but I will confess that the new characters were more interesting. Don't get me wrong, it was fun seeing Han and Chewbacca in the Millennium Falcon again but I was really interested in Rey and Finn. Finn is an ex-stormtrooper who is trying to find his way. Rey is a bit of a mystery, but one that will play a major role in future films. Her character is a bit of mix between Han and Luke.

In terms of bad guys, there is Kylo Ren who is the light sabre wielding villain. He is a bit more complex than those who came before him, it will be interesting to see where they will take him. As for the big bad guy, Snoke, I was not that impressed. He looks like something from Lord of the Rings (not surprising since he is played by Andy Serkis). I found him a bit boring.

One of the things I liked about this movie was the increased role of women, both among the good and bad guys (people?). It was a good solid movie that had the best of the old and yet a fresh look for the future. The Force Awakens does much to heal the disappointment of the prequels.


Star Wars

Comments