X-Men: Apocalypse - Review

X-MenI watched X-Men: Apocalypse last night. I had originally wanted to see it in the theatre, but that didn't work out. Hearing people's generally negative opinion of the movie, I decided to rent the movie rather than buy it.

After hearing all of the bad things about the movie, I was pleasantly surprised. It really was not that bad. That is not to say it was perfect. I found the first half of the movie to drag a bit. I also was not that impressed with Apocalypse as a villain. I collected X-Factor when it first started and so I read the first appearances of Apocalypse. I didn't think he was that interesting then and the movie didn't improve him. I also found the four horsemen to be rather boring. Storm was okay but I was hoping for something interesting with angel, which we didn't get.

Having said all that, there were good parts to the movie. The 80s nostalgia was fun. The characters of Professor X, Magneto, Mystique, and to a lesser extent Beast, are what really have kept these prequels going. It was also nice to see Nightcrawler, who I really enjoyed in X-Men 2 (even though his appearance here means that his appearance there doesn't make sense).

Quicksilver was a highlight of this movie (as he was in Days of Future Past). As a huge Rush fan, I loved that he had Rush posters on his bedroom wall and wore a Rush t-shirt throughout the movie. Too bad they didn't use Rush in the soundtrack. The only disappointment was that his relationship with Magneto was not resolved. Maybe that scene was cut from the theatre version.

X-Men: Apocalypse was a decent movie that is worth watching. I personally think this movie was much better than Deadpool, even though Deadpool blew it away at the box office.

Comments