Guardians of the Galaxy - Review


Guardians of the Galaxy 



I know that this is a bit late for a review of Guardians of the Galaxy but we just had the opportunity to see it on Sunday.

Although I enjoy the Marvel movies, it does feel as if they are just plugging characters into a formula. That is why I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy, it actually stepped outside of the formula.

Part of is it that it was a mixed genre movie. Even if I was not a superhero fan, I would have enjoyed it based on my love of science fiction. It would have worked even without the tie to the comic books (truth is I have never read a comic with the Guardians of the Galaxy).

The main draw, however, was the characters. It is interesting to compare Star Lord with Captain America. Cap couldn't be anything but a hero. Star Lord has to choose to be heroic. He is a much more realistic character, he is someone we can identify with.

I also loved the character of Drax the Destroyer. As a parent of children with autism, it is nice to see a character who doesn't get metaphors. Besides, he is just plain funny.

My favourite character is definitely Groot. Besides having some neat powers, he is a very interesting person/being/tree. I enjoyed every scene with him. I would say this is the best role Vin Diesel has ever had. "I am Groot!"

So if you have not had the chance to see Guardians of the Galaxy, go and see it. Even if you do not like the other Marvel movies, this is definitely a movie worth watching.

Comments