The Matrix Revisited

I recently rewatched the Matrix trilogy.  Do you realize that the Matrix came out in 1999? That was almost twenty years ago!

Matrix


Watching the Matrix, I was amazed at how well it held up. When it comes to science fiction movies, they can become dated very quickly. But that is not the case with the Matrix.

Even having watched the Matrix half a dozen times, I thoroughly enjoyed it again. The Matrix was an extremely influential science fiction and action movie and its influence continues today.

Part of the draw of the movie is the investigation of long standing philosophical problem, what if what we think is reality is not reality? The Matrix mixes some important philosophical reflection with cutting edge special effects and exciting fight scenes.

As much as the Matrix draws on philosophy, it also draws on theology. Neo is a messianic figure who experiences a death and resurrection. I actually showed clips from the Matrix one Easter at church.

Watching the Matrix, I also watched the rest of the trilogy, Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions. I didn't enjoy either of the sequels near as much as the first movie. They were okay but nothing close to the quality of the Matrix. I would say that Matrix Revolutions was better than Matrix Reloaded.

If you haven't watched the Matrix lately, I would encourage you to watch it again. If you have never seen it, what are you waiting for? But I wouldn't worry about the sequels.

Comments