Age of Ultron - Review

Age of Ultron
I finally had the opportunity to see Avengers: Age of Ultron. It is a movie that I have been looking forward to for some time.

The basic plot is that the Avengers have been trying to make the world a better place. Tony Stark, emotionally scarred by the events of the first movie, tries to see the big picture. Hoping to invent himself out of a job, he creates an artificial intelligence named Ultron. Without giving away any spoilers, it does not go well.

What did I think of it?

Movies like this are in a tough position because they tend to be compared to two things, the trailers and the previous movie. As for trailers, they have become so entertaining that it is hard for the actual movie to live up to the hype. In this case, the trailer makes the movie look more exciting than it really is.

I did not enjoy the sequel as much as the first movie. There was something about the timing of the Avengers that made the story flow nicely. Also the humour seemed so natural.
While I enjoyed the story of Age of Ultron, the pacing was not as good and I found myself hoping that things would move along. The humour also seemed forced. While I laughed a number of times, it was just not as natural.

Having said that, there were things that I liked.
  • I liked that Hawkeye had a much better role in this movie.
  • I liked Ultron, even though he was not the stereotypically emotionless killer computer.
  • I liked the twins (Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver). It will be natural to compare this Quicksilver to the one in X-Men: Days of Future Past. Although the X-Men version had one of the best superhero scenes ever, this one was very well done.
  • I really liked the Vision. He was one of my favourite Avengers in the comics and I think Marvel did a great job of bringing him to the big screen.
  • Of course there were some pretty awesome battle scenes, with the one between Iron Man and the Hulk being particularly good.
  • I was pleased with the conclusion, which I will not share here.
So I did enjoy Age of Ultron. It was not as good as the first one or even as good as Guardians of the Galaxy, but it was still an enjoyable movie and worth seeing.

Best Quote:
"If you get hurt, hurt back. If you get killed, walk it off." - Captain America

Comments